Saturday, July 30, 2011

Very Berry Pie

Ummmm, summer fruits. The strawberries have been good so long this summer that I can't seem to pass the 3 packages for $5 without picking up more. So I've prepared them in many ways - favorites, new recipes, and old favorites. One of my old favorites we like that I've tried variations with this summer is a refrigerator pie.

This is good with the basic recipe, and also with adding blueberries. That made an especially colorful pie that would be great for patriotic holiday meals. The next thing I'm trying is with fresh peaches (mum, fresh peaches from the Texas niece) and peach jello. A good way to 'taste the season'.


Strawberry Shortbread Pie

¾ cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 ½ cups water
1 package (3 oz) strawberry gelatin
4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 shortbread crust (9 inches) (or your own favorite one-crust recipe, mine comes rolled in a box!)

In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Transfer to a bowl. Chill until partially set. Place berries in crust; pour gelatin mixture over berries. Cover; refrigerate until set. 


1 comment:

  1. Someone asked about calories in the pie - I don't have my calorie analysis program that I used at work, but from what I've found - its 152 calories for the pie ingredients, plus the crust. That's for one of six servings - there's the key! Portion control!

    ReplyDelete