Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fish Tacos

Fish Tacos? Not a usual thing at our house, in fact I previously thought fish tacos were, well - kind of 'fishy'. Aren't tacos supposed to be beef? They usually are here, but the fish tacos did prove to be a good light summer supper. After raves from daughter Sara and a delicious order from a menu in Santa Fe, I decided to try them at home. Sara shared her recipe with me, and of course I adapted it for our taste and ingredients on hand.

Fish Taco Ingredients
white fish (tilapia is our choice, wish we could find more selection and better prices in our area) - we allowed about 4 oz per person
fish breading (I used a commercial package I had on hand - it was flour, cornmeal and seasoning. I added a dash of paprika, ground cumin and chili powder)
Flour tortilla (We used the 6 inch ones, the restuarant had 4 inch tortillas that made an attractive plate. For a special dinner, I might make my own or cut the 6 inch ones smaller)
shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
chopped tomatoes
shredded cabbage (from a bag of slaw mix)
chopped green and red peppers

Cilantro Lime Sauce (this is what makes it really good!)
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup Kickin' buffalo mayonaise (new product - good!)
juice of 1 - 1 1/2 limes
1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro (I didn't have fresh, so I used 1 Tablespoon cilantro paste - comes in a tube, very handy)
dash ground cayenne papper
dash ground cumin
Mix together and check the consistency. Add a teaspoon of milk if it needs to be thinner.

Rinse and blot dry fish. Mix breading ingredients in a plastic bag, coat fish by dropping in and turning. Melt 1 Tablespoon each olive oil and butter in a skillet, when melted and hot, add fish. Cook fish 5 minutes on each side over medium heat.
Serve the tacos by coarse-chopping the fish onto the tortillas and adding tomatoes, cabbage, peppers and cheese as garnish. Drizzle with Cilantro Lime Sauce.
We served this with Spanish rice and chips. Easy Spanish rice is to make regular (minute) brown rice and add a couple of tablespoons of salsa.
Hmmm - we will do this again, good for a summer supper. But we won't forget our beef tacos!

Here's my plate at Capital Grill in Santa Fe

Fish Taco at home, on a 6-inch tortilla


No comments:

Post a Comment