Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Favorite Food - a winner

As I worked with 4-Hers for many years, and continue to do some judging of 4-H events, one of my favorite events is the Favorite Food Show. In this event, the 4-H members demonstrate food preparation, presentation, safety, and nutrition skills by setting a table with a chosen 'favorite food'. They are evaluated by a judge (that's a fun thing to do - get paid for offering your opinion!), on how they can explain their knowledge of the entry.
I judged the county show in Wilson County this summer, then was asked to also judge the SE Kansas Area Favorite Food Show. Knowing that my choice of winner from Wilson County would be an entry, I asked to judge the other half of the room of junior entries. But when it came down to the final consultation between the other judge and I, this one was a clear winner - again!
This young 4-Her,  I think she's only 9, had chosen a meal suitable for farm work day and decorated the table accordingly. Served with a salad and roll, it's an easy to fix and quick dinner. The food looks and tastes yummy. I can hardly wait to make it for my farmer.


CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE

1lb ground beef
1-16oz can green beans
1-16oz can carrots
1-16oz can corn
½ cup instant rice
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Brown ground beef, drain, place back in pan
along with canned ingredients (not drained) and rice.

Mix and cook over medium heat until
juices are absorbed.

Approximately 6-1cup servings

No comments:

Post a Comment