Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Happy Birthday Cake

I had a birthday this week - one of those celebrations that is a cause of joy (after all was MY day), and for adults, dread (am I really this old?). Birthday trivia tells me that I'm only 13 in dog years. I spent part of my birthday watching national news as President Obama took his first oath, then followed the next day with the festivities that a Presidential inauguration includes. I'm old enough to remember hearing President Kennedy say in his inauguration address "ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country".  So I have no trouble remembering which day the President's inauguration will be.
Birthday cakes are tradition. Possibly from the ancient Greeks who made round cakes to represent the full moon to honor their goddess of the moon, Artemis, and topped them with candles to look as if they were glowing like the moon. I have many special memories of birthdays - and yes, I was a spoiled only child, I still have the pink cake topper and candleholders that graced my birthday cakes as a child. This year I planned my own cake - a cranberry white cake I'd been wanting to try. We shared it as dessert after dinner  with close friends and cousins Marlen & Sharon.


Cranberry Layer Cake

Ingredients
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1 pkg. 2-layer-size white cake mix (I like Duncan Hines)
1 cup water
⅓ cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1 Tbsp. finely shredded orange peel (I use jarred from the spice shelf)
Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
¼ cup chopped pecans, toasted

Directions:
1.     Rinse cranberries in cold water; drain. Coarsely chop cranberries; set aside. Grease and flour two 8 x 1 ½-inch round cake pans. (I think it helps to also line the pans with parchment paper rounds. Set aside.
2.     In a large mixing bowl combine cake mix, the water, oil and eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed just until combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Fold in cranberries, 1 cup pecans, and the orange peel. Divide between prepared pans, spreading evenly.
3.     Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25–30 minutes for the 9-inch layer or 30-35 minutes for the 8-inch layer or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
4.     Place one layer on a serving plate. Spread with some of the Cream Cheese Frosting. Top with the second layer. Spread top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Sprinkle with the ¼ cup pecans. Serve immediately or cover loosely and store in the refrigerator. Let chilled cake stand at r4oom temperature about 30 minutes before serving. Makes 12 servings.

Cream Cheese Frosting: In a large mixing bowl, beat one 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened; ½ cup butter, softened, and 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in enough powdered sugar (4 ¾ – 5 ¼ cups) to reach spreading consistency. Stir in ½ teaspoon finely shredded orange peel. Makes about 3 ¼ cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment