Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pesto, Pasta, and Pinterest

Where did the last hour go?? The new site for ideas of all sorts, Pinterest, consumes my time, making me as hungry for some of the recipes as it seems to be for my time! Pinterest only begin a few years ago, but most women I know are on it frequently. I've always enjoyed a variety of women's magazines, and I think of Pinterest as a random magazine.
Some of the recipes I can't wait to try, some I''ll not give a second look (anything with sweetened condensed milk - I can get enough calories without this product!). My boards are overflowing, and I thought organizing recipes was a mess! I actually print a few I want to try immediately so I don't lose the idea or the inspiration.
This week one evening was a dinner of new tries - some good and to be keepers. One, the Ranch Chicken not so. That recipe, chicken breasts baked covered with a sauce of mayonnaise and dry ranch dressing mix was a bit too tangy with the mayo, I might try it again with a milder sauce and less of the dry dressing mix. But the sides - roasted veggies and pasta were good and those recipes will be filed in the trusted and true notebook.
Ranch Cheddar Chicken -
not doing this one again!


BOW TIES WITH ARTICHOKE PESTO    
(I changed this recipe some from the original, 1 jar instead of 2 of artichoke hearts, and more cheese)     

8 ounces bow tie pasta
1 jar (7.5 oz) marinated artichoke hearts, drained (save liquid)
2 Tablespoons chopped walnuts
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
salt & ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil

In a large pot of boiling water, cook bow tie pasta according to package directions.
In food processor, combine artichoke hearts, walnuts, Parmesan cheese, and lemon juice. Process for 30 seconds. Slowly add in olive oil until mixture is a coarse paste, add reserved artichoke liquid as needed to desired consistancy. Transfer to a large bowl, season with salt and pepper.
Drain pasta and add to pesto in bowl. Toss to coat. Stir in basil, garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and basil if desired. Serve hot.

ROASTED VEGGIE MIX

(this recipe, from Cooking with Bonnie/Bonnie Aeschliman, is similar to what I often do with roasted vegetables, but uses frozen corn and butter instead of olive oil with a single type of veggie. I added asparagus since I'm still getting a little harvest on my daily walks.)

1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 medium zucchini, cut into chunks
1 bell pepper (red, yellow, or green), chopped
½ medium onion, cut into thin wedges
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
optional - other vegetables (asparagus, squash, etc)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 garlic clove, minced
½ teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine vegetables in a large bowl. Melt butter; stir in garlic, sugar, salt and pepper, Toss with vegetables. Arrange on a shallow baking sheet.
Roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and corn appears slightly “parched”. Stir occasionally during roasting.







No comments:

Post a Comment