Thursday, June 27, 2013

Harvest Treats

I took a break from trying bread recipes this afternoon to bake cookies and take treats to the harvest field. This year's wheat crop is better than most years, and after a cool spring and hot windy June, its turning out to be great harvest weather. Our crew is hoping to finish today (no breakdowns, please) and there's a severe thunderstorm warning for tonight. Perfect timing.  I'm not much of a 'farm wife', usually describing myself as 'married to a farmer/rancher' instead. But thought I should be somewhat useful, thus the afternoon trip to the field.
Everything Cookies is a new recipe for me, but old to a church friend who added it to the church cookbook last year. Thanks, Mary Lou! It's chewy but crispy, a good combination. The lemonade I mixed up was from a can of concentrate (12 oz), 4 cans of water (directions say to use 4 1/2 cans water, but I knew I would add lots of ice), 1 cup frozen raspberries (puree in blender with some of the juice), and 1 tablespoon of honey for sweetener. Strain to remove seeds. I carried and served it in canning jars with lids.

EVERYTHING COOKIES
1 cup margarine or butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup coconut
1 cup vegetable oil (I used Canola)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup rice cereal
12 oz. chocolate chips (must have been an older recipe, cho chip bags are now 11.5 oz)

Mix ingredients in order given - cream margarine or butter with sugars, add egg. Combine cream of tartar, oatmeal and coconut; add and blend in. Mix in vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Combine salt, baking soda, rice cereal and flour. Add to dough and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoonfuls on greased baking sheet. Bake in 350 degree oven for 12-13 minutes. cool on racks.
This recipe makes lots. It made a trip to the field, a full cookie jar, and 2 dozen cookies in the freezer!


No comments:

Post a Comment