Sunday, February 26, 2017

Cherry Coffee Cake - revised

I'm still doing cherry recipes. One of my favorite flavors! Coffee time at church was a time to serve coffee cake, of course. And another time to try a new cherry recipe. This one sounded good, but unusual. It used a cake mix as the main ingredient, but also had yeast in the recipe! It was similar to others recipes I've used with a crumb topping of cake mix with cold butter cut into it.
Usually I can tell by reading a new recipe how it will turn out. The original of this one had me stumped however. Yeast in a cake mix? But I was intrigued enough to try. After the first attempt, I was pleased with the cake part (with yeast), but not with the topping. The dry cake mix on top was still powdery dry and looked unappetizing after baking. So, how to adapt the recipe to make another, and how to savage the first attempt?
The recipe below is my adaptation. I reduced the amount of dry mix that is reserved for the topping and mixed it with melted butter. The original recipe directions were to cut cold butter into the dry mix, this left a lot of dry mix still dry. I also substituted milk for water (and increased the amount since there was more cake mix in the batter now).

CHERRY COFFEE CAKE

1 package (18 ¼ oz.) yellow cake mix, divided
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 package (¼ oz.) active dry yeast
¾  cup warm milk (120°-130°)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 can (21 oz.) cherry pie filling
5 Tbs. butter, melted
Glaze:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1-2 tablespoons milk or flavored coffee creamer

Directions:
In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups dry cake mix, flour, yeast and milk until smooth. Stir in eggs until blended. Transfer to a greased 13-in x 9-in. baking dish. Carefully spoon pie filling over top.

Stir remaining (1 ½ cup) cake mix and melted butter until blended. Drop by spoonfuls over filling. Bake at 350 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over coffee cake.

Here are the two pans after baking. On the left is the original recipe, still with lots of dry cake mix on the top. This is after I scooped most of it off and mixed it with melted butter. 
On the right my adapted recipe, with spoonfuls of cake mix moistened with melted butter over the top. 

Add caption
So, to brown the original recipe pan and make it more attractive, I put it under the broiler - for about 1 minute too long! Watch it carefully!
I'll keep the adapted recipe for another coffee cake time. I think it would be good with other pie fillings also - blueberry, apple, and other fruits. 


No comments:

Post a Comment