Thursday, June 21, 2018

EPC Easy Mac and Cheese

I keep finding new recipes and ways to use my Electric Pressure Cooker - also known as "InstaPot". After a great session yesterday by Chef Alli at our county Women in Ag Day, I'm inspired again. As Alli told us, we have to leave the EPC on the counter! Don't let it go to the storage room or pantry - otherwise known as the 'appliance graveyard'. If it is out where you see it you will be more likely to think of using it. 
I've found the EPC the best way to cook many cuts of meat. We still do the ribeyes and t-bones on the broiler or grill of course, and hamburger browns easily in the skillet (although I think you can brown ground beef in the pressure cooker). But for roasts and big hunks of meat (HOM) the pressure cooker is the way to go. Quick, tender, and easy prep. But aside from meats, its also fun to find sides and even desserts for the PC. 


I made this Mac and Cheese today for a club covered dish lunch and it is very tasty. I don't think I would have tried the recipe from reading the ingredients, but seeing Chef Alli do it and tasting her results was the test, and it passed with A+. Cheddar Cheese Soup? Well, I've had a can in the pantry for a couple of years I wondered what to use it with! Egg mixed in sour cream? Alli assured us that this would be safely cooked in the hot mixture of macaroni and I tested it with a food thermometer. It did reach 190 degrees, recommended safe temperature for a cooked egg is 160 degrees, OK.  I think you'll agree with me that all these unusual ingredients combine for a very tasty mac and cheese.  



CHEF ALLI'S ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER MAC AND CHEESE






Ingredients:
3 cups elbow macaroni (or your favorite pasta)
3 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. dry mustard (or spicy brown mustard)
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
1 can Campbell’s Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup (10 ¾ oz)
1 egg beaten with ½ cup sour cream
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained

Directions:
1.  Bring the chicken broth to a boil in the pressure cooker (manual setting). 
2.  Add the macaroni, give it a quick stir and lock the lid in place. Choose high setting for 6 minutes. (if using a larger pasta in place of elbow macaroni pasta, set the timer for 7 minutes). 
3.  When the timer sounds, perform a Quick Release to remove all pressure from EPC. 
4.  Stir in sour cream/egg mixture, mustard, shredded cheese, soup, and Rotel; combine well. 

You can continue to keep the mac & cheese warm in the EPC on the warm setting until serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment