Thursday, September 24, 2015

Rhubarb Oat Dessert



I really like the boxes of frozen fruit our church women's group orders each year, but sometimes 14 pounds of fruit is a lot to use. So I order my favorites each year - strawberries and rhubarb, and split some boxes with a friend - blueberries and pie cherries. Strawberry and rhubarb are popular dessert flavors with my family so I'm always looking for new recipes.
Here's the newest one I've tried. It is going to be a favorite also.

Rhubarb Oat Dessert

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup chopped pecans
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup cold butter or margarine
3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
1 ¼ cups cold water, divided
1 ½ cups sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon red food coloring, optional
Ice cream, optional (although my family will say ice cream is never optional!)

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, nuts, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press 3 cups into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish; set aside.
Soak rhubarb in 1 cup cold water for 3 minutes; drain. In a sauce pan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in remaining cold water (1/4 cup) until smooth. Add rhubarb, vanilla (and food coloring if desired).  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over crust; sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 23-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with ice cream if desired.
12 servings.

My tips: I usually 'short' the sugar measurement a little bit to reduce some calories. It is for flavoring in this recipe and a matter of taste. 
I used half margarine and half butter. 
I chopped the rhubarb slices into smaller pieces.

As I mixed the fruit ingredients together, the
rhubarb slices seemed to be too large

A quick spin in the food processor chopped them smaller
and I added a cup of frozen blueberries that happened
to be on the counter! 


Ready for the topping



Topped and ready for the oven. How did that
baby bottle cap get in the photo??

No comments:

Post a Comment